Speaking of Bill...

Yes, speaking of me, a wonderful idea. Be warned though that this is not for the faint of heart. I will be bitching about my daily struggles with no talent ass clowns, the insufficient number of hours in a day and my neverending search for good food. Still here? Excellent. Read on and join in.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

manual labor...

be warned, this post concerns the weekend. yeah, i know i'm late but let's be honest...nothing eventful ever happens to me during the work week.

so this weekend was fairly productive for me. i took the car in for routine maintainence, helped lily replace her bathroom faucet, replaced the burnt out light bulbs on the vaulted ceiling (by standing on my tip toes on the top of a ladder - not a fan of that), and the biggie...i dug up some earth and laid some foundation to extend lily's patio for the ginormous grill sarah's brothers bought us last year.

now that everything is said and done, i have to say...i'm just not cut out for manual labor. the easiest part was clearly taking the car in to have somebody else look at it. i used to think i was somewhat "handy" having grown up shadowing my father in his million and one tasks around the house. i thought i had a clue, but no, it's just not meant to be. we hit up home depot a couple of times in one day. what's more out of place in home depot than a semi-clueless asian guy heaving 30 pound patio blocks and 50 pound bags of limestone, levelling sand and top soil? ...an asian guy doing it in a polo shirt, khakis and dress shoes. next time, we'll stop home after church regardless of whether or not it's "more efficient" to go directly there.

the bandage on my right thumb is a constant reminder of how much i should stick to computers and the digital world. oh, what happened to my thumb? well, let's just say hammer+thumb+wood = F$#% ME! i don't know what hurts more, the blood blister that formed immediately or the blow to my ego.

i suppose the real lesson here is that "advance asian" does not mean capable of home-improvement. they're sold "as is" and i don't think they come with a warranty. i wonder if sarah knows...i wonder if she cares?

3 Comments:

  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your the best 'as-is' purchase Sarah ever made....

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger sarah said…

    hmmm i dunno about that mary, but I am very happy that we are now gilling on bill's had made world's tiniest patio.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger RJW said…

    day laborers my friend. it's not a misdemeanor to hire them yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home